Textile waste is so last season!
Michèlle Belau, the renowned high-street Peruvian fashion label, which operates more than 43 stores in South America with a flagship store at City Walk in Dubai, is using the remains of fabric left from the production of each article of clothing to dress a collection of exclusively hand-made dolls.
The dolls, each with its very own personality, style and character, are sold in Michèlle Belau’s boutiques across South America to raise funds for Fundades, an NGO that works to contribute to improving the quality of life of vulnerable people, especially people with disabilities, through the promotion and implementation of activities and social projects related to health, education, work, sport, the environment and helping the homeless.
According to Veronica Smulders, Managing Director, Michèlle Belau Middle East, “We are very proud of our eco-friendly production cycle which allows us to utilize textile waste to style our fashionable dolls, who in return help us make a difference in the communities where we are present. We are currently looking at the possibility of introducing the dolls to our atelier in Dubai and supporting a local NGO.”
The brand sources 90% of its fabric from Europe and the remaining 10% from Peru. “When buying the fabrics, they are already destined for a particular garment. We try to balance a good mix of fabrics in each collection with 50% of them being natural fabrics such as linen, cotton and silk,” reveals Smulders. 100% of Michèlle Belau’s production is in Peru generating over 750 jobs.
Michèlle Belau was recognized as one of the best fashion stores in the UAE last year and the brand’s exceptional ‘Personal Shopper’ experience was also rated to be one of the best in the city. Michèlle Belau also introduced an online store to serve customers from across the Middle East region. http://shop.michellebelau.ae
1/26/2016 01:51:56 pm
We love this! Great work!
Leave a Reply.
Moustafa Mahdi, Strategic PR & Communications Consultant